BMW’s first post-war automobile was the 501, built from 1952 onwards. A large saloon capable of seating up to six people, it was powered by an enhanced version of the six-cylinder engine used in the pre-war BMW 326. As a luxury car, the BMW 501 was not a commercial success, but it nevertheless restored BMW’s status as a manufacturer of high-quality cars.
The Rosslyn plant near Pretoria, South Africa, became the first production location outside of Germany for the modern BMW Group. In 1972, the BMW Board of Management decided to take over the entire Rosslyn facility constructed by the local importer. Assembly of the Glas 1800 SA model had started in 1967 and was later followed by the BMW 2000 SA. After major investments, production of BMW 3 Series vehicles was launched there at the beginning of 1984.
Strategy Number ONE aligns the BMW Group with two targets: to be profitable and to enhance long-term value – from a technological, structural and cultural perspective. The mission statement up to the year 2020 is to become the world’s leading provider of premium products and premium services for individual mobility.
NEWS & EVENTS